Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Busy Dyeing Days

Before I left for a visit to my sister's family for the 4th of July I was busy dyeing some lovely fiber and yarn. I spent several days in my dye studio and am pleased with the results. One yarn I dyed is a rainbow yarn on both merino/bamboo sock yarn and worsted weight wool. Every time I dye a rainbow yarn, I tend to dye it a little bit differently, figuring that rainbows in real life are never quite the same. This rainbow is very bright and cheerful.

Here is "Rainbow to the Stars" on Merino/Bamboo sock yarn.

Here is "Rainbow to the Stars" on worsted weight wool.


I have been pondering the reskeining of my yarns. I personally like yarn better reskeined because you get a better idea of how the colors will combine in the final project. Reskeining also can make a tremendous difference in how a yarn looks in terms of how attractive the colors are together. I'm not quite sure why it is, but not having the color in blocks can totally change the look of the yarn, and gives a truer representation of how the yarn will look knit up. I have been reading that many people prefer the yarn in color blocks because they can see how large the color blocks are which gives them a better idea about color pooling in the finished project. I'm interested in what my readers think about this (if I have any readers left after my lack of blogging recently).

It would be much easier to not reskein, as it would save a lot of time and energy on my part. One of the things on my wish list is an electric reskeiner, although I've often thought it is a good upper body workout when I spend hours reskeining yarn.

I sold some yarn on Etsy this week that it turns out I already sold somewhere else, probably at the Farmer's Market. This is one of my biggest nightmares. Fortunately my customer was understanding, so I need to go and dye her yarn, and then I will be off to my spinning group. I'm hoping it's nice and cool at Andrea's this morning. I'm a baby when it comes to heat and humidity.

No comments:

Post a Comment