Friday, December 4, 2009

Happy Friday to All!

It's the 4th of December and my third post in December. I hope I'm not setting a precedent I can't live up to.

It snowed again today, but not for long. I guess winter is really coming our way, but I'm not getting the winter dishes out until December 21. Yes, I have winter dishes, fall dishes, and spring/summer dishes. It's crazy I know, but it is a small thing that makes me happy. I am on a hunt for some spring dishes, but haven't come across the right set yet. I'm thinking vintage dishes with some spring flowers. It's good to have a goal to work toward. I am also working at replacing all the Pyrex bowls that have been broken over the last few weeks. It makes going to garage sales and thrift stores fun to have something to look for.

I received good news this evening. My cousin had brain surgery today. She had a non-malignant brain tumor, but it had been growing for 20 or so years, so by the time it was discovered it was quite large. It was successfully removed, but she will probably have some language impairment and also possibly some vision impairment. They won't know for a while, so I would ask that you keep Gail and her family in your prayers.

More good news! I just received an email from Tim that he arrived safely in Melbourne. It was about a thousand mile drive, so I'm glad that they made it safely. He was too tired to write much, but I appreciate his letting his slightly concerned mother know he was OK. I am improving all the time-no longer anxiety laden, just slightly concerned. A few more weeks and he won't even need to write to me. No, I don't think I want to get that relaxed.

Can you stand it? Even more good news. I finished my second red scarf, and I even have a photo, although not a very good one. It's been raining or snowing here for several days, and since I take my photos outside, I haven't had a chance to take a good photo. As much as I am not loving the scarf knitting, I think there is time to squeeze a third one in. This was an easy knit, and I would link to the pattern but I can't find it. I thought it was on the Red Scarf page, but it seems to have disappeared.

My sister is feeling better since she had 18 pounds of fluid drained from her abdomen the day after Thanksgiving. Yes, I said 18 pounds-that is 8 liters of fluid. She said for the first time in a long time she could enjoy sitting at the kitchen table. It's the small things in life that matter. I am hoping to go and spend some time with her next week. I also have a child going through a difficult time, so that may keep me from visiting, but I hope we are heading in the right direction with him, and things will be better next week.

I'm thinking it might be time to get out a few Christmas decorations. I need to get my advent table set up too. I know I'm a bit behind, but that's OK. Time to get the candles and begin gathering the bits and pieces that will be added each week. The first week is stones, shells, crystals and bones. I can do all those things except the bones-lots of stones and shells thanks to many years of young boys and girls gathering treasures at the beach.

Look, cats sleeping in Tim's chair and on his ottoman. The bad thing is that Tim is very allergic to cats. I wonder how they know this is the one chair they shouldn't be sleeping on. Last night Gerard got up in the chair and pushed Seamus off. I've never seen them fight over a chair before. It must be the fine Ikea craftsmanship that is attracting them.

No comments:

Post a Comment