Friday, October 2, 2009

Changes

Autumn has arrived on my doorstep. Conor wimped out and turned the heat on yesterday. He doesn't seem to understand the concept of putting a sweatshirt on when he is cold. It was 58 degrees inside, but I wouldn't have turned the heat on. That's why we have a pile of afghans and fleece blankets on the couch.

In other news, I was at knitting on Wednesday and my cell phone rang. It was my oldest son, sounding excited, wondering if I had a moment to talk. I said sure I had time, and he told me that instead of just going to Australia for a vacation in November, he plans to quit his job, give up his apartment in New York City, and stay in Australia for at least 6 months. I have known that he wasn't very happy with his job, and that he was tired of living in New York, but the thought that he might move halfway around the world, if only for a short time, had never crossed my mind.

Tim is a planner and does not do things that are illogical, so I knew that he had given the move serious thought, and I think it is an awesome opportunity for him. When I had more time to talk to him later, his plan made a lot of sense to me, and I think he is going to have a great adventure and I am proud of him for being so brave and adventurous. I did make him promise not to fall in love with an Australian, and that he wouldn't stay longer than 6 months. I know these are not binding promises, but I felt better having said them.

Now I would like to say that being a parent stinks. My full time job for the last 27 years has been being a mother and raising my children. I tried to teach them to be independent and think for themselves, and tried really hard not to put my many fears on them (my mother was a great worrier, and she taught me how to worry about everything) and wanting them to have the opportunity to explore the world that I had never allowed myself to explore. Look what a great job I have done! And I want him to go and have a wonderful time, to do this while he has the opportunity, but at the same time I want to tell him not to go, not to be so far from me. I would never, ever do that, and if you're reading this Tim, know that I am serious when I say that I want you to explore and have all the adventures that you can. So I guess what I am trying to say is that doing a good job as a parent is to make yourself obsolete and out of a job, and that stinks. In what other profession would you work toward a goal of not being needed anymore?

I do get a consolation prize though. Tim is going to bring his belongings here, and I get to use his HDTV while he is gone. He is also hoping to spend a week or so before he leaves, which, for me, is a much better consolation prize. And there are a lot of sheep in Australia, which means there must be a lot of wool in Australia, so maybe this whole adventure can work for me too. Maybe he can get a job on a sheep ranch or something. I'll have to suggest that to him.

When I have not been processing this whole Australian undertaking, I have been locked in my wool room putting things in my Etsy shop and the Spindies shop. I still have lots more to add, and much to label, but I'm slowly working through it all.

"Twilight Pumpkin Patch" in Merino Worsted Weight Yarn.


"Gothic", named after one of the Adirondack High Peaks in Merino/Tencel roving.

"Golden Days of Autumn" in Mulberry Silk.

Tomorrow I am going to be a participant in a Meet the Artist day at a local gift shop, Seasons. I will be spinning and will bring a bit of yarn and fiber to sell. I am hoping it will be a warmer day than it was today, as I believe that I am going to be outside on the porch. Let's also hope that it is not raining. I'd better go and get more yarn labeled.

No comments:

Post a Comment