Wednesday, July 8, 2009

It Was a Busy Fibery Day

In case you were wondering, if you sent positive thoughts for no rain on Tuesday, it didn't work. It was another rainy day which kept us from going to the Farmer's Market. I am quite excited that the forecast for Friday is 81 degrees and sunny.

Wednesday's are for spinning and knitting. It is the day when my spinning group meets, and also the day when we have our knitting group at the library. It's a very fibery day. Today I felt the need to spin some fiber that I didn't have to think about. I tend to like to spin fiber that has a lot of different color blocks, and I like to manipulate the colors to make a yarn that looks tweedy by stripping the roving and tearing it into pieces and piling those pieces together. I think it makes interesting yarn. This is yarn with one ply made from a navy blue BFL roving I dyed and the other ply is some of Lynn Vogel's BFL fiber I purchased from her at Harrisville Designs. I am planning to make some fingerless gloves from this yarn.

This yarn I spun from fiber samples from the Phat Fiber Sample box which I have collected since January.

However, today I didn't feel like thinking that much, so I chose to spin some fiber I bought at Rhinebeck last year. It is three colored, but the roving was dyed and then lightly carded together, and I chose to just spin it , which was just what I needed today.

Next week spinning will be at my house, which means I need to do quite a bit of cleaning this week, including cleaning off the kitchen table, something I probably haven't done since last time I had spinning. It is where I do my drum carding. It's fortunate that I don't have to put everything away every time I card, since we don't use the table much for eating. Having an 18 year old who is seldom home for meals makes that possible. I don't understand why he would rather spend time with his friends than his fun mother, but it seems to be the case.

I am very excited about a new yarn base I am getting. It is merino, silk and cashmere, and I am anticipating just how soft it is going to be. It will make some extremely soft socks, but also would be fabulous for shawls and scarves also. I am thinking it should be arriving soon, and since I'm planning a dyeing day for Saturday, I hope it will be here by then.

The pool water is no longer green, which is a good thing, and the water is clear enough to see the bottom of the pool at the deep end. Conor dove in today for the first time after his run, but quickly got out. He said it was the coldest water he has ever been in, including mountain lakes and the Atlantic Ocean early in the summer. He is campaigning for a new solar cover. I have suggested that when he gets a job, he can put some of his money toward the solar cover he would like.

Work tomorrow, so I'd best go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment