Sunday, July 26, 2009

Socks made of Milk

One of the things I did at the Cranberry Lake Craft Fair to keep myself entertained in between the infrequent customers was to spin. I spun some milk fiber and decided to use it to make a pair of socks using a double eyelet pattern. This is the yarn, which was dyed in shades of turquoise, green and yellow.

This is the leg of the first sock. I finished it this evening and have started the second sock. I love the feel of the sock that has been created. Milk fiber is extremely soft, and to me the sock feels like chenille yarn when knit up. I am looking forward to wearing the socks. I think they will be very comfortable.

I also spent a portion of today putting new yarn and fiber in my Etsy shop. I have seen some requests for worsted weight and heavier weight yarns on the Phat Fiber blogs, so thought I would dye up some worsted weight yarn.

Pink Lemonade

Pumpkin Patch

Purple Rain

Sprite
Hi-Ho Cherrio


And I also added a little bit of fiber.

This is Bluefaced Leicester, Bamboo and Angelina in shades of lavender, pink and natural bamboo.


This batt reminds me of a creamsicle. Bluefaced leicester and Angelina with soft, soft Mulberry Silk in the middle.


There is still more to add, but I have a little re-skeining to do first. My next vending opportunity is at the Wilder Farm in Burke, New York. It is the childhood home of Almonzo Wilder, the husband of Laura Ingalls Wilder. Every year they have a spinning day where many north country spinners gather in one of the barns to spin and talk about spinning. It is always a fun day, and the non-profit group in charge of the Wilder Farm has done a great job of bringing Almonzo's home back to life.

One of my favorite stories is how Almonzo's mother used to have the sheep taken to the river which runs through the property to have them washed before they were sheared. I love to picture that scene in my mind. I wonder how cooperative the sheep were.

No comments:

Post a Comment