Saturday, July 18, 2009

News Flash-There's A Yellow Ball in the Sky

Here is a Saturday sky picture-this was taken before the arrival of the big yellow ball in the sky.

I have tried very hard not to fixate on the weather this summer, but I believe I am failing miserably at this. I suppose part of the reason is that since I am doing a Farmer's Market and we don't go when it rains, since fiber, yarn and water do not mix, I am even more impacted by the weather this summer. So it is very exciting this morning to look out the window and see sunshine.

To give an illustration of how infrequently it has been sunny, I was doing dishes a couple of nights ago and couldn't figure out why things seemed so strange. I had a feeling that something was slightly off kilter. Then I realized it was because the sun was shining and the kitchen was actually bright and cheerful. To me, that was an indication of how little sun we have had this summer. Hmmm, or maybe it was an indication of how little time I have spent in the kitchen at suppertime this summer. Nope, I really think it's the lack of sun. I have actually been spending more time in the kitchen. I find the Farmer's Market has been inspiring as far as cooking goes.

An item that has been interesting to people at the Farmer's Market is my thrum mittens. I offer a thrum mitten kit and have a sample knit up with one turned wrong side out. People stopping at the booth have been fascinated by them. One woman thought they were for dusting. Pretty funny. I have decided to make a few pairs to sell as people have been asking for them. I began a pair last night. Seamus helped me with the photography by sitting next to the mitten so it couldn't run away as I was trying to photograph it. Such a helpful boy he is.

One thing the dreaded rain has been good for is my garden. I have a lot of day lilies and the
y love water, so are doing fantastically. I also have black eyed susans that are about five times as tall as they have ever been before and have sort of taken over the garden, but they are very pretty. I had a mutant arrive in the middle of one of the groups of flowers. It looks like an aster in the middle of a group of black eyed susans, very strange.


Can you find the mutant flower?


I have been spinning daily as part of the Tour de Fleece. I am currently spinning some milk fiber that I can't sell because there is too much residual dye in it. I grew tired of rinsing, so decided to keep it for myself and spin it instead. Dyeing milk fiber has been a challenge, but I think I am getting the hang of it. And I am in love with spinning it. It can very easily get away from me, so I have learned that it needs to be taken in very slowly, and then it spins easily. I am not sure if I am going to use the yarn to make a shawl or a pair of socks. Once I have it plied I will have a better idea. Sorry for the blurriness of the photo.

Off to do some dyeing now. I haven't photographed what I dyed last weekend either. It has been a busy week. I will try to get some photos taken tomorrow. Enjoy the sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment