Saturday, January 3, 2009

Another Harrisville Class

I signed up for another class at Harrisville Designs today. My friend Judy brought it to my attention when we were discussing going to Lynne's class. The new class is called Bohus Stickning and the teacher is Susana Hanssen. It should be fun, and it will be nice to visit Harrisville at the beginning of the summer as well as at the end.

Today Suzanne and Trina came over to knit. Suzanne brought two new sock books that she received for Christmas, and I can feel another book purchase coming on. The book I am feeling the need to buy is Knitting Socks With Handpainted Yarns by Carol Sulcoski. I can't wait to get the book and knit a pattern using one of my hand painted yarns, perhaps Leaves of Grass.


My knitting group has decided to knit at least one pair of socks and a scarf each month, and that way we will have 24 gifts knit by the end of the year. It should really cut down on Christmas knitting anxiety. For the more adventurous of us, we will also be doing a sweater every two months. Since I have only knit one adult sized sweater, and it took me three years to finish it, that is a rather lofty goal for me, but I am going to try it. The other knitting goal I have for 2009 is to knit something with a steek. I am already feeling anxiety about it, but feel I must face my knitting fears and try it. I love Elizabeth Zimmerman's advice on cutting steeks in Knitting Without Tears to "Cut on basting, then lie down in a darkened room for 15 minutes to recover. You will never fear to cut again. (But always be sure to cut in the right place.)" Sounds like good advice to me.

Knitting Without Tears is the first knitting book I bought and I always recommend it when asked what is a good beginning knitting book. Elizabeth's message that there is no wrong way to knit, as long as you end up with a finished project and are happy knitting, is a wonderful knitting philosophy.

Here's a little eye candy to say good-bye for today. This is some of the first yarn and fiber I dyed. The colors are bright and cheerful and make me smile. I hope they do the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment