Monday, February 9, 2009

Blueberry Cream Pie, Yummm!

In our spinning group the person who hosts the group is responsible for providing a dessert.  It can be store bought or homemade.  Carolyn usually serves frozen eclairs, definitely a favorite of the group.  We have checked the package to make sure we get our full serving each time.

When I hosted the group last Wednesday I spent a lot of time mulling over favorite recipes, deciding which would be the ultimate recipe.  I made my old standby One Bowl Brownies, but wanted something a little more special.  And, since I have a 17 year old, I wasn't worried about everything not getting eaten, or worse, me feeling the need to eat it all.  So I settled on Blueberry Cream Pie because I had heavy cream on hand and organic blueberries that I had frozen over the summer.  And it is a pretty simple recipe to make.   This is a very old recipe which was handed down to my friend Jean Conner from her mother, so it's an old New Jersey recipe.  I thought I would share the recipe.  I'm sorry I didn't take a picture of the pie, but by the time I thought of it, it was half gone and would not have made a very attractive picture.  

Blueberry Cream Pie

1 Unbaked 9" Pie Shell
4 cups fresh blueberries ( I used frozen, but if you do, the pie will take longer to                                                              bake.)
2/3 cups (or less) white sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup heavy cream 

Fill the unbaked pie shell with blueberries.  Mix the remaining ingredients together and pour the mixture over the blueberries.  Bake 
at 400 degrees for 45-50 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned. 

Enjoy!

In knitting news, I have a few more squares done for the Starry Nite Scarf.  And I had a request for a new pair of socks from Conor, so I started a pair with some Ella Rae yarn I had in my stash, which was approved of because it looks a little like camouflage.  I offered to make him hot pink socks, which he would have loved in the past, but he said no.  Conor told me on our shopping trip on Saturday that he, to a degree,  is becoming a conformist in terms of clothes.  My little boy is growing up.  

Here is one of the new colorways I developed last weekend.  I am calling it Vanilla Sky.  I think it would make a beautiful shawl or scarf. It has many subltle shade variations of neutrals.


Here is another colorway, which has not yet been named, but contains shades of blueberry, pumpkin and green.


Here's a colorway called Golden Slumbers that I did on roving and can't wait to try on yarn the next time I dye.  It's a very rich colorway which reminds me of butterscotch and caramel, with a touch of chocolate.


Tim has arrived back in the country safely.  All my motherly concern allowed this safe arrival to occur, I am sure.  I can't wait to see his pictures and hear about his trip.  He was both at the ocean and in the jungle, so the pictures should be awesome.  He had a 4 hour layover in the Miami airport, which doesn't sound like much fun to me.  I won't think about how late he will be getting back to Brooklyn.  

Time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment