Monday, February 2, 2009

Knit In at the Potsdam Museum

Where did the time go.  I can't believe that the last time I wrote was Thursday.  How time flies when you're having fun. 
 
On Saturday Trina and I went to a Knit In at the Potsdam Museum.  (That's the back of Trina's head, she wouldn't let me take a picture of her face.)


The museum has a knit in Saturday a few weekends a year.  It is nice to see what others are knitting.  We sat at a table with a woman who we discovered is lucky enough to have a Joe wheel. Joe is an old man who lives in Cornwall, Ontario and makes spinning wheels.  Several members of our spinning group have Joe wheels, and they are not only great wheels to spin on, but works of art as well.  There have been many discussions over the last year or so as to whether or not Joe is still making wheels.  The woman at the knit in had purchased her wheel about three years ago, so we still don't know the current condition of Joe.  

When I walked in Vernice, a member of our spinning group, told me I was already famous at the table.  When I asked why, she explained that people had been admiring the piece she was knitting, which was a moebius. Vernice is knitting it with some of her handspun yarn.  The reason I was famous is that I dyied the fiber from which Vernice spun the yarn.  The colorway's name is Dots of 1970's Appliances.  It was pretty late at night when I was naming it, but it is sometimes difficult to come up with creative names for colors. 


I spent Sunday dyeing in the basement.  I could not believe how cold it was down there.  It made me yearn for a studio space which could be heated.  One day a couple of summers ago I went with Lisa to buy Amish baskets near her house.  On the way home we drove past an Amish farm where they were building outbuildings, and we stopped to admire their handiwork.  A young man came out to talk with us about the building just as I was explaining to Lisa and Eloise what an awesome place it would be to dye.  From the expression on the boy's face, he heard die, not dye.  Maybe you had to be there, but it was pretty funny.  Lisa quickly went into an explanation of the kind of dyeing I was talking about doing.  Here's a picture of the shed. 

I thought I could buy it, use it for dyeing and pay for it by selling shares to women and it could become a knitting retreat.  The only problem is that I would have to put it on top of the pool.  
Look at that blue sky and grass.  I'm feeling hope that we may see those things again.  Driving home from work today at 5:30 it wasn't totally dark,which means we are headed in the right direction.  

I am looking forward to Winter Carnival in Saranac Lake.  It's a 10 day long celebration of winter.  The fact that Caitlin's apartment is on Broadway, one of the main streets in Saranac Lake, and the parade goes right by her apartment, makes parade going sound enticing.   The theme this year is pirates, and Caitlin may be marching in the parade as a pirate wench handing out goodies from her place of employment, Nori's, a natural food store in Saranac Lake.
 
There are fireworks at the beginning and end of the festivities, which also sound like a lot of fun. And I can't wait to see the ice palace this year.  Here's a picture of it being built.

Time to go rotate yarn and fiber so they can dry faster.  I can't wait to show you what I dyed.

1 comment:

  1. Marilla, I just read and truely enjoyed your blog. Thanks for typing the poems. Keep up the good words and works. Hope to see you in Saranac Lake for the parade. Eloise

    ReplyDelete