Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Is It Really Wednesday?

Wow, that week went fast.  Here we are back to spinning Wednesday.   That week just flew by.  I was able to go to spinning today, since the car had oil in it, I believe, even though the oil light comes on whenever I start the car.  I'm sure that is not a problem though, right?  Because after driving for about a mile, it goes off.  

Spinning was fun, as always.  A friend of Andrea's gave her some old knitting books, and Andrea brought a pattern book from the 1950's to show us, which used potholder looms and loops to make beautiful hats, slippers, and purses, as well as other accessories too numerous to mention. I think it is an awesome thing that one can not only wear an attractive hat, but if wearing it while cooking, it can do double duty as a pot holder if the need arises.

Do you remember the potholder looms?  We still have a two of them, along with some cotton loops, on the third floor. And I am pretty sure that there are a couple of potholders at camp made by either me or one of my siblings which are still keeping our hands protected after many years of service.  

I took these pictures on the way to knitting at the library.  This picture is looking to the east-


And this picture is facing looking to the west-



I found the sky to be very foreboding, which is why I stopped to take the pictures.  I find inspiration for my dyeing in the colors that  appear in the sky, not only at obvious times like sunset and sunrise, but with different weather conditions too.  I am challenged to attempt to recreate the colors I see in fiber.

It is really windy here tonight, and I am unnerved by the howling I am hearing.  I used to enjoy listening to the wind, but since shingles have started blowing off my garage and house, I have a different viewpoint.  I am looking forward to better weather so I can get the missing shingles replaced, both on the garage and the house.  One of my least favorite ways to spend money, on household repairs, but it must be done.  I would much rather buy fleece or yarn.

Speaking of yarn and fleece, I received an e-mail today from one of  my etsy customers, who is stationed in Europe.  She was very happy with her purchase and said "you've succeeded in your quest, soft, wonderful wool in wonderful colors at great prices. I'm just thrilled.  Be proud, your yarn has hit Europe & will be shown off here shortly!!'   

How awesome is that?  It did make me feel quite proud of what I am accomplishing.  And I just purchased more roving, so am looking forward to getting back in the basement and getting some dyeing done.  One of the reasons I am hesitating to dye is that it is very cold in the basement.  Another reason to be glad spring is coming.

Once again, Trina and I were the only knitters at the library.  I took a picture of the fireplace, in case that might entice someone to come and join us.  It is very warm and cozy, and it would be nice to share some of that warmth with some other knitters or crocheters.  The chairs in front of the fireplace are quite comfy as well.


I finished the socks I started on Saturday while knitting at Mountain Gift & Powder

 They are made from a Fleece Artist kit holding a stand of mohair and a strand of wool together.  They look so soft and warm I want to put them on, but I can't because they are part of my Christmas gift stash for next year.  I am making progress on my sweater also.  I only have a few more rows to knit on the front, then I will do the sleeves and I will be done.  I've been slightly nervous that I wouldn't have enough yarn to finish the sleeves, but it looks like it's going to be alright.  I will be very happy to finish this sweater and move on.  

It's getting close to Phat Fiber Sampler Box time for March.  We were mentioned in the issue of Knitty which came out today, and it's very exciting to be a part of this endeavor.  For those who don't know, "Phat Fiber is a mystery box of awesome samples for the yarn and fiber enthusiast in us all. With a focus on the independent artisan, this box is a super grass-roots treat for the senses. When your box arrives, chock full of samples, expect to be overwhelmed with the sight and feel of artful yarns, bits of roving, small batts, stitch markers, original patterns, valuable discount coupons and much much more. Inside, you could find anything that yarn and fiber enthusiasts would love...even an herbal tea or two! Phat Fiber seeks to bridge the gap between talented online artisans and consumers hungry to support the independent small business."  

And finally, here is a picture taken over the weekend of my granddog Begonia, who is getting bigger by the day.  She is very sweet, and as you can see, still thinks she is a lap dog. That is Travis she is sitting upon.  I was standing up and she came and sat at my feet and leaned on me, and she almost pushed me over, not an easy thing to do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment