Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Pistachio Cake

Today is a beautiful, sunny day and the temperature is supposed to get up to 52 degrees.  I'll believe it when I see (or feel) it.  How is it possible that it is already the 24th of March?  Time sure does fly, even when one is not necessarily having fun.

I am waiting for the arrival of Eloise who is coming to Massena to go to knitting at the library.  She is coming at a fortuitous time for Conor who is taking his road test today.  (Please say prayers for me in my hour of need, and in the days and weeks to come.)  I own a Mercury Grand Marquis (It was my parents car, and when my van died they gave it to me), which is not the car I would want to take a road test in.  I've been driving for 40 years (that makes me sound really old, as does owning a Grand Marquis) and I still don't try to parallel park that thing.  The good thing about Ellie coming today is that she has a Subaru, which Conor has driven before, so he is going to take the test on her car.  

Almost all the fiber I dyed on Sunday is dry, but not quite ready for pictures yet.  I tried to repeat the awesome, sexy yarn I dyed last Sunday, but didn't quite achieve the right colors.  I think upon comparison of the two rovings, I have a better idea of the colors I used, and will try again the next time I dye.  It never fails that what is created at the very end of the day when I am using up bits and bobs of dye (so I don't write the colors down) is something quite fantastic that I want to repeat. I hope I now realize that I need to write everything down, even at the end of the day.

I'll leave you with the recipe for Pistachio Cake that we had on Saturday during spinning at my house.  This is one of those cakes from the 60's that use cake mix and pudding mix.  My Aunt Hilda used to make it for special occasions and I can remember a lot of Easter dinners when it was served.  The pistachio pudding mix makes the frosting a very pretty, spring green.

Pistachio Cake

1 Package Duncan Hines White Cake Mix (You can also use yellow cake mix)
2 Packages Royal Instant Pistachio Pudding
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
5 eggs


Mix cake mix and pudding mix, then add oil, water and milk and blend.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.  Place in bundt pan and ake at 350 degrees for one hour.  Cool in pans for 15 minutes and then remove.  You can use layer cake pans also, just bake for a shorter amount of time.

Topping
Whip 1/2 pint of heavy cream.  Add one 4 1/2 ounce container of cool whip and one package of instant pistachio pudding mix.  I use all heavy cream because I like the way it tastes better.

That's it.  Really simple to make and yummy too.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment