Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Results of Dyeing Days

The promised photos of the results of my dyeing days are here.  This is the fiber drying in the basement.  Would you like to guess the age of my house from looking at the beautiful stone walls?
Despite the predicted rain, we ended up with a sunny day, so the fiber was able to go outside to dry.  I took pictures from both sides of the drying racks.  I wish that I had taken the time to crop the pictures, because I am realizing how awful my backyard looks. Since there is still ice and snow in the yard I shouldn't feel too guilty about it's sad state.  Conor and a friend tried to rake yesterday, but discovered the leaves were still frozen.

I am really excited about a couple of the colors that I created this time.  The green that is on the right in the photo  below is one of my favorites.  I love the colors found in nature and this green is very reminiscent of lichen that was photographed on my walk to Moose Pond this winter. 

 
When dyeing, I try to keep very precise records of what I am doing because when a lot of dyeing is taking place it is sometimes difficult to remember exactly what I did.  This time I created an awesome roving and I did not write down what I did.  I tend to do a bit of dumping at the end of the day, and this must have been one of those rovings.  What I like best about it is the colors that emerged when side by side colors blended together.  I only have 8 ounces of it, and Trina has purchased one and I have to keep the other one to see if I can recreate the colorway.  We are calling it the awesome sexy roving.


I did an etsy shop update today.  Three new listings of my fiber and yarn from the Phat Fiber box this month.  I can't wait to get my box.  There are already several postings on Ravelry and people's blogs showing the contents of boxes received today with descriptions of the contents. It's a lot of fun to see what the individual boxes contain, and it is especially thrilling when I see one of the samples I sent in a picture, even more thrilling when someone takes the time to write a nice review of my sample.

Photographing the batt and yarns was interesting today.  I took the photos on the front porch because I missed the light in the foyer this morning.  I wonder how crazy my neighbors think I am if they notice me carrying a linen covered table outside and then proceed to photograph yarn and fiber.  And not only am I taking photos, but trying to keep the fiber from blowing off the porch. The theme for the box this month was celtic so I dyed green and gold and made batts that reminded me of Irish fields with the sun shining on them.  This is the batt sitting nicely on the table.

This is the same batt lying on the porch floor where the wind blew it while my attention was focused on photgraphing the yarn.  Naughty fiber.


This is the colorway Kilkelly on a base yarn of 100% Merino fingering weight superwash sock yarn.


This is the same colorway on a base of 75% Merino, 25% Nylon fingering weight superwash sock yarn.

 The day ended nicely with knitting at Suzanne's instead of the library this week. We'll have to go there more often since she serves homemade raspberry wine.  Yummy! 

Time for bed.  Work tomorrow, so I will need to rise and shine at an earlier hour than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment